CONSERVATORIO S. MARIA DEGLI ANGELI : In the heart of Florence, near the great monuments of the city enough to reach them comfortably on foot, in the suggestive and restful beauty of an ancient monastery, the Conservatory S. Maria degli Angeli, traditional solution for study stays in Florence, is also proposed as holiday residence.
The ancient architectural concept of the Santa Maria degli Angeli Conservatory offers not only beauty and harmony of spaces and volumes, but also great and welcoming livability.
Art is the protagonist at the Conservatory of St. Mary of the Angels: the cenacle that adorns the dining room, is a large fresco by Matteo Rosselli, but other works of great importance are present and visible in the rooms and galleries, first of all the precious bronze of Giambologna depicting St. John the Baptist.
The S. Maria degli Angeli Conservatory has very ancient origins. In 1505 six Florentine women bought from a woolman, certainly Dionisio di Clemente, a house located in Via Laura di Pinti to devote themselves to religious practices and charity. Subsequently, increased in number, they transformed their house into a cloistered monastery which they gave the name of S. Maria degli Angeli, assuming the rule of the Dominican Order. In 1785 the Peter Leopold of Habsburg Lorena, Grand Duke of Tuscany, transformed the monastery into a Royal Conservatory and since then "maidens of distinguished families" were received in boarding schools, which received education and instruction from the Sisters later flanked by lay personnel. After the suppression of the Conservatories in 1808, S. Maria degli Angeli remained one of the few in the Tuscan territory. The Conservatory continues its educational work in the paritarian institution located in the wide spaces of Via Laura, purchased by the nuns in 1514, welcoming pupils of the Infant, Primary and Secondary School of the first and second degree. The premises of the monastery, located in Via della Colonna, host university students and tourists who can enjoy, as well as the artistic beauty and quiet of the green cloister, a careful and friendly reception.